Each year, Skin Cancer Awareness Month shines an important spotlight on skin cancer, the most common form of cancer in the United States with over one million people diagnosed each year.
This summer, be sun-smart with these tips from the Skin Cancer Foundation.
- Avoid burning and stay clear of the sun during its prime hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; seek shade instead.
- Cover up with protective clothing and use at least one ounce (that’s two tablespoons) of broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen for your face and body, making sure to reapply after sweating or swimming.
- Use SPF 15 for everyday and SPF 30 or higher for outdoor activities.
- Perform monthly skin checks and visit your doctor annually for a professional exam.
- Lastly, skip tanning beds altogether: Just four visits a year can increase your risk of melanoma by 11 percent.
We love using SkinMedica Daily Physical Defense products. They’re oil-free and provide the ultimate protection from those nasty UVA and UVB rays. The fragrance free formula also helps protect skin from free radical damage. Sensitive skin types benefit from the 100% mineral formulation that is hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. All of their sunscreens are sheer enough to be worn under makeup. And, it’s recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation.
We never leave home without it!